We got caught by surprise today and had to drop what we were working on to ship fixes to two of our products - Easy Agile User Story Maps and Easy Agile Programs.
At around 330pm we had a support request detailing an issue with Easy Agile User Story Maps where it was failing to display issues associated to a sprint in the appropriate sprint swimlanes. The issues were appearing in the backlog instead.
A bit of investigation and we knew;
- No deployments in the past 5 days, so our app was the same
- The problem was visible for customers, and on our test and production instances
- We discovered the problem was also present in Easy Agile Programs
Historically the API response from Jira Software included a serialised Java object such as
We used a regex to parse out the information we needed.
However, we now see a JSON response:
Finally, it appears that the API response for all versions of the Jira Cloud API have changed, not just latest / version 3.
The improvement is welcome, however the inconvenience caused by not having a heads up about this in advance is frustrating.
We were lucky to be able to respond before our European customers came online. If we’d missed this before heading home our European and US customers would have lost a whole day.
Kudos to the Easy Agile team for jumping on this and being quick to respond.
In future it would be great to:
- know about changes such as this in advance so we are not caught by surprise,
- have the API versions respected so changes don’t propagate to all versions of the API, and
- have the ability to quickly check what has gone to production (as this wasn’t present in the release notes)
Looking forward to improving this process and collaborating more effectively with Atlassian on future Cloud deployments.
Nick Muldoon, Easy Agile