Update t.set() Data Size Limits

Previously, when storing data via t.set(scope, visibility, key, value) in a Power-Up, you were limited to 4096 characters per a scope/visibility pair.

We’ve updated the limit for board and organization scopes to be 8192 characters. This limit is per a scope/visibility pair. For instance, both t.set('board', 'private', key, value) and t.set('board', 'shared', key, value) will be given their own limit of 8192 characters.

card and member scoped max sizes will remain at 4096 characters per scope/visibility pair.

Any chance those limits would be further increased, so one could potentially store a collection of a few big json objects on the card/board.

I often find this to be the limiting factor in my development and I end up doing some tight optimizations, adding big security buffers (just in case I would wrongly estimate the users’ needs) or introducing some restrictions that users might not understand. Even with those measures I feel very restricted.

The only way to store bigger objects, that I see is to set up my own backend (e.g. S3), but it seems to be an overkill if what I need is just to store a couple of json objects on the board, with a combined size of say 20kB.

Any chance the limit would be further raised to a level that would give us some more leeway in the way we use the storage functionality (e.g. 100kB per scope-visibility pair) or maybe you could suggest some other mechanism for achieving the same without the need of setting up a separate backend?

I’ll put this in the backlog for the team to explore more.

We have seen some people squeeze out more space by compressing/encoding. Not an ideal solution, but a way to get a little bit more head room.

1 Like