What it takes to change existing app's name?

I’m considering changing my existing app’s name to another one in a “comprehensive” way, which means changing app’s name in all places, including (but not limited to):

• key in app descriptor,
  • app user’s name

It’s Connect app for Confluence Cloud. Is it possible to do, anyone tried to do this successfully (without breaking existing app’s installations)? I suppose Atlassian help would be needed as well with such change?

6 Likes

If you change it in the descriptor and on the marketplace - all that’s left is the app user’s name (which you noted) - at that point you’ll get hit by [AC-2448] - Ecosystem Jira

3 Likes

Thanks @danielwester for this information, I guess I’ll wait for this issue to be resolved first (it’s in progress state so there’s hope it will be). And just to double check descriptor part, changing key in app descriptor of existing app is safe operation?

Hi @LukaszWiatrak,

I’m not confident the “in progress” status of AC-2448 reflects reality. I’ve submitted an enquiry to see if the issue can be prioritised.

Regards,
Dugald

3 Likes

What happens, if I change the following in atlassian-connect.json?

1. key
  2. name

Will it break existing installations?

I tested it for ‘name’. A new minor version will be created and deployed automatically. It did not break any installations. However, I did not test it for ‘key’.

You can’t change the key. It will be seen as a new app.

Even changing the name can cause issues (I believe that the app user name is not changed for example).

FYI, what I eventually did was:

• Changing app name,
  • Keeping existing app key as it is,
  • Living with what @danielwester mentioned which is having app user name not being changed,

I didn’t have any other issues though

Hi all
Any idea on this? I would like to rebrand a custom connnect app. I can change the app name, all good, but the app user still stays the same and I cannot rename the user as that is shown on Issue Histroy when doing API calls from the Connect App.
Yes, I did not change the app key as that would be seen as a new App BUT any idea on when I would be able to do that too?
Please advise? Thank you

Hi all … any feedback/workaround/suggestion on this please? Thank you