Why is `user` property missing in issue webhooks?

I have a Cloud app that subscribes to Jira issue updated and created events via webhook in the app descriptor.

After running my app in production for a while, I noticed that for a small number of webhook events the user property is missing in the payload. I see this happening for changes in different fields, e.g. status, resolution.

Does anyone know why that is and how it’s possible to do changes in Jira without a user? Maybe some kind of automation or workflow post function?

If this is known and the expected behavior I believe it should be clearly mentioned in the docs.

All documentation pages say issue related events have the following structure:

{ 
    "timestamp"
    "event"
    "user": {...},
    "issue": {...},
    "changelog" : {...},
    "comment" : {...}
}

and:

The user is always present in a webhook POST for issue events

Hi @tbinna - perhaps someone else can pile on if they’ve seen this, but I’ve been looking at my webhook payloads, and on issue updates (status/resolution), the user object is in there. Is this only happening on one instance, or are you seeing this across multiple tenants?

Hi @nmansilla, thanks for having a look at this. Unfortunately, I did not manage to replicate this myself as well but in production I see this happening for different tenants.

I’ll follow up with you directly by email for more details.

1 Like

If anyone comes across this post, I think I found a possible culprit:

If you configure a trigger in a workflow, for example, link a Bitbucket account and create a trigger “transition issue when branch created”. The issue updated webhook payload will not contain any user property.

This is the email notification that I get from Jira. As you can see the email says “Changed By: Automated Transition”.

I assume this is the intended behaviour. However, I wonder if it is safe to assume that whenever there is no user in the webhook that it is then automation (or maybe even more specifically triggers)? If that’s the case, I think it should be mentioned in the developer docs, especially the fact that user indeed can be missing.

@dmeyer can you confirm whether @tbinna’s conclusion is correct, that if a webhook is fired via workflow trigger that the user object won’t be present?

Yes this is a known issue: [JRACLOUD-67605] Webhooks aren't being fired when workflow transitions are associated with custom events in JIRA - Create and track feature requests for Atlassian products.