X-Force-Accept-Language for next-gen Scrum does not affect some issue types

I have admin account in Czech (cz) language in Jira cloud instance. I have created a next-gen Scrum project. Because rest API was returning some localized strings, I’ve set headers:

X-Force-Accept-Language: true
Accept-Language: en

When I do rest API GET request https://mysite.atlassian.net/rest/api/3/project/MYPROJECT?expand=description,issueTypes,issueTypeHierarchy

Some issueTypes (hierarchyLevel === 0) are returned in en and in some (hierarchyLevel !== 0) in cz language (stripped):

"issueTypes": [
        {
            "id": "10027",
            "description": "Stories track functionality or features expressed as user goals.",
            "name": "Story",
            "hierarchyLevel": 0
        },
        {
            "id": "10028",
            "description": "Tasks track small, distinct pieces of work.",
            "name": "Task",
            "hierarchyLevel": 0
        },
        {
            "id": "10029",
            "description": "Bugs track problems or errors.",
            "name": "Bug",
            "hierarchyLevel": 0
        },
        {
            "id": "10030",
            "description": "Epics sleduje kolekce souvisejících chyb, příběhů a úkolů",
            "name": "Epic",
            "hierarchyLevel": 1
        },
        {
            "id": "10031",
            "description": "Dílčí úkoly sledují malé části práce, které jsou součástí velkého úkolu.",
            "name": "Dílčí úkol",
            "hierarchyLevel": -1
        }
    ],

It seems to me, it’s a clear bug - may someone from Atlassian register it (and fix it :wink:) Thanks

Hi @OndejMedek. I did some testing on my dev instance and had similar inconsistencies. From just a brief observation, it appears that if I created a new project with an admin account that’s language is set to CZ, the i18n (internationalized) for certain descriptions aren’t being displayed in language expected (with the X-Force-Accept-Language and Accept-Language headers).

On my instance, with an account set to CZ as default language and an API call with Accept-Language set to en I get the following below. Note that all issue types are in English, other than Epic and Subtask which are still in Czech.

   "issueTypes": [
        {
            "id": "10132",
            "description": "Stories track functionality or features expressed as user goals.",
            "name": "Story",
            "subtask": false,
            "hierarchyLevel": 0
        },
        {
            "id": "10133",
            "description": "Tasks track small, distinct pieces of work.",
            "name": "Task",
            "subtask": false,
            "hierarchyLevel": 0
        },
        {
            "id": "10134",
            "description": "Bugs track problems or errors.",
            "name": "Bug",
            "subtask": false,
            "hierarchyLevel": 0
        },
        {
            "id": "10135",
            "description": "Epics sleduje kolekce souvisejících chyb, příběhů a úkolů",
            "name": "Epic",
            "subtask": false,
            "hierarchyLevel": 1
        },
        {
            "id": "10136",
            "description": "Dílčí úkoly sledují malé části práce, které jsou součástí velkého úkolu.",
            "name": "Dílčí úkol",
            "subtask": true,
            "hierarchyLevel": -1
        }
    ]

However, when I set Accept-Language to fr in the headers, I get the following below. Note how all descriptions are in French, other than Subtask which remained in Czech.

    "issueTypes": [
        {
            "id": "10132",
            "description": "Une fonctionnalité exprimée sous la forme d'un objectif utilisateur.",
            "name": "Story",
            "subtask": false,
            "hierarchyLevel": 0
        },
        {
            "id": "10133",
            "description": "Une tâche distincte.",
            "name": "Tâche",
            "subtask": false,
            "hierarchyLevel": 0
        },
        {
            "id": "10134",
            "description": "Un problème ou une erreur.",
            "name": "Bug",
            "subtask": false,
            "hierarchyLevel": 0
        },
        {
            "id": "10135",
            "description": "Une collection de bugs, stories et tâches connexes.",
            "name": "Epic",
            "subtask": false,
            "hierarchyLevel": 1
        },
        {
            "id": "10136",
            "description": "Dílčí úkoly sledují malé části práce, které jsou součástí velkého úkolu.",
            "name": "Dílčí úkol",
            "subtask": true,
            "hierarchyLevel": -1
        }
    ]

I’m going to do a little more investigating, and reach out internally to see if this is a known issue. I’ll let you know what I find out. I suspect at this point that it is a bug. If/when I do file it, I’ll also share the issue URL for you to track.

Hi @nmansilla thanks for picking up the issue. When I switch my account to another language and enforce en lang, then I have a similar result - all in English except Epic and Subtask, which are in the language I have switched my account to.

@OndejMedek It does seem that Subtask description is getting pinned to the language of the user at the time of next-gen project creation. Even if I change my account language to French, and don’t try to override any language settings with header params, all issueType descriptions come back in French, other than Subtask (still Czech).

Thank you for providing details and helping to dig into this issue. The folks I reached out to internally are in Europe, so I’ll follow up with them tomorrow morning.

@OndejMedek a related bug was found, and the team has updated the issue to include the issueType descriptions. https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-76699

2 Likes