A peek into Marketplace's new app listing page

Can you explain the definition of what the % is of? Ie is if % of page views, apps, registered users?

% of traffic to the App Listing page (cumulative across all Apps)

4 Likes

Hello @skanodia, you mention changes in the code, not only the layout - will this affect the events / data we can monitor as Marketplace Partners in Google Analytics about our listings ?
Do you plan to provide us with more granular data points as part of this refresh ?

@julie.dantin There should be no change in the events that partners receive from the app listing page.
There aren’t any immediate plans to change the granularity as a part of this initiative.

@nick Learnt from a colleague that AMKT has been used for public feature requests at times. Here you go —
https://ecosystem.atlassian.net/browse/AMKT-25300

Thanks.

@skanodia - can you provide dimensions we should be using for the new (cropped) images?
And, just as importantly, are you going to improve the marketplace part where we upload those images? The way cropped screenshots are generated currently doesn’t really work too well.

@skanodia - I also forgot, where are vendor metal tier badges going to be displayed on app listings?

I am assuming you’re going to provide some way to highlight the fact that the owner of said app is a metal tier vendor. (Something I believe is approx 2 years overdue?)

These images are displayed at ~550px width — so we wouldn’t recommend cropping it smaller than that. We’ve updated the cropper to discourage cropping to smaller widths for new uploads.

The way cropped screenshots are generated currently doesn’t really work too well.

Could you describe what issues you’re facing with the generated highlight images?

Currently, the thumbnail can only be generated from the full-screen image you upload.
This means, I need crop out a section from the larger image. Given how the cropper works, that is not always desirable, as I don’t necessarily want chopped up partial pieces of the larger image.

I want a bit more control over what the cropped thumbnail shows. Perhaps specifically curating that, which means the thumbnail might actually be a slightly different image than the fullscreen image to highlight something specific.

The only way to accomplish that right now would be to upload an image that is specifically geared towards being used as the thumbnail, generating the thumbnail from that, then uploading another image that will be used as the fullscreen image. That seems tedious to me.

Here is an example from a listing (not owner by me): Elements Connect - external data fields | Atlassian Marketplace

Notice that the thumbnail images are not the same as the full-size image.

4 Likes

@skanodia my app uses the same method as described by @ademoss see Jenkins Integration for Jira | Atlassian Marketplace

1 Like

@ademoss @markrekveld thanks for the explanation.

I wouldn’t recommend using a cropped highlight image that is noticeably different from the full highlight image as users expect to see a larger, higher resolution version of the same image they clicked on in highlights. Having two completely different images can be disorienting when the lightbox opens up.

However, this should be fine for images that are slightly different. I’ve shared this feedback with the team that looks at partner experience.

Hi everyone,
An update with respect to the release — the new app listing page has now been rolled out to 10% of the page visitors (as of Thursday, 17th June).

We’re watching metrics for the page closely, and data from this rollout phase will be an important input into how we proceed with further rollout.

Please let us know if you observe any bugs or anomalies in implementation or in the analytics you receive on this page.

Cheers,
Shubham K

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

The new app listing page has now been rolled out to 25% of the page visitors (as of Tuesday, 6th July).
We’re running slightly delayed as compared to the tentative rollout dates we posted earlier due to additional time we needed to analyze results from the second phase.

Cheers,
Shubham K

1 Like

Hi @skanodia the new app listing page does not even respect basic line breaks in description text (More details section in the page).

This just looks horrible if the description is paragraph heavy without lists or other formatting. See here: Figma for Jira | Atlassian Marketplace

This new design just does not seem ready, no idea why you are releasing it to public.

1 Like

@bitmagic The page does look a little awkward due to a choice of a squarer hero image by the developer of this app, however, the content formatting for “more details” paragraph isn’t something that we control.

In this case, the developer has chosen not to use lists or line-breaks in the content they’ve uploaded (we support both), and that leads to a similar “text heavy” experience, irrespective of the layout being old or new.

(Older layout)

@skanodia Ok thanks for your reply. May be that is wrong example. But line breaks were not respected for this app Table Exporter for Confluence | Atlassian Marketplace
which is now reverted to old layout. Could you please compare it with new layout if that is possible?

Notice that there are multiple line breaks at the end. New layout, which was enabled last week showed no line breaks.

@skanodia as the roll out is close to 100% now I believe is this the correct place to provide feedback? I’m just guessing so and will continue:

The “Reviews” tab shows a badly placed vertical scroll bar that touches the reviews and stays empty no matter how many reviews are available.

Hi @skanodia ,

Will this page be updated in case of image dimension changes? https://developer.atlassian.com/platform/marketplace/building-your-presence-on-marketplace/

It seems some of the character limits indicated on this page are not up to date in any case (more characters allowed when you update a listing).
Thanks!

1 Like

Hi everyone, wanted to share an update on the app listing rollout —

We’ve been carefully analysing results after the 25% rollout. Early analysis indicates that there isn’t a statistically significant difference in conversion rates between the old and the new layouts.

We will likely take a call on a broader rollout next week and will update this thread once we have full visibility.

1 Like

@bitmagic Ah, I think you mean the vertical spacing between paragraphs was missing, and not the breaking of the lines themselves. We’ve pushed a small fix to make readability of long paragraphs better on the new page.

@LauraCampbellElement thanks for bringing this up — our brand guidelines do need an updated with fresh screenshots and dimension changes. We’ll look into this shortly.

@david.toussaint that does look odd — could you share some more details on the browser you’re using?

1 Like

@skanodia sure, I’m using Firefox 89.0.2 (64-bit) on Windows 10. I can neither reproduce it nor check an alternative browser as I’m back to the old UI again :slight_smile: