Additional $0 transactions will now be available on transactions APIs

Hi developer community,

Last year, we added some $0 transactions (transactions resulting from 100% discounts) to the Marketplace APIs (you can read more about this here). At that time, we mentioned that we’d start providing transactions data in the following Marketplace APIs for other $0 transactions beyond 100% discount cases as well -

• /rest/2/vendors/{vendorId}/reporting/sales/transactions
  • /rest/2/vendors/{vendorId}/reporting/sales/transactions/export

We have received multiple partner requests for other types of $0 transactions and we’re excited to share that we will begin providing transaction data for some other requested $0 transactions from June 19,2023 which will include -

• Those transactions that are for user-tiers that are defined as $0 in the pricing plan
  • Transactions for
    • Community licenses in server and data center products
    • Open source licenses
  • Transactions for licenses having maintenanceStartDate same as maintenanceEndDate which is possible when the license is renewed on the same date
  • Transactions for licenses where the app was installed on the parent sandbox site during initial provisioning which are $0

Evaluations are excluded from the $0 transactions because they are not transactions in reality and while the old billing system supports creating invoices for evaluations, the new billing system does not. For uniformity, we will not include evaluations with $0 coming from the old billing system or the new billing system as part of these new changes.

How to access this data?

The transaction data would be available in transactions APIs and reports –

• /rest/2/vendors/{vendorId}/reporting/sales/transactions
  • /rest/2/vendors/{vendorId}/reporting/sales/transactions/export

vendorAmount and purchasePrice would be 0 for $0 transactions.

We expect this to be released by June 19, 2023.

Similar to before, if you want to omit these new $0 transactions, you can exclude them by adding the excludeZeroTransactions query parameter as true in the API. This ensures existing and newly added 0$ transactions would be excluded.

5 Likes

Hello @PremankuChakraborty

Thank you for sharing this exciting news, this will improve the accuracy of our reporting!
It’s great to see that you’re listening to our feedback.

Will this change apply retroactively?
In other words, will we be able to access $0 transactions that occurred before June 19th?

Regards,
Christophe

3 Likes

Hi @christophe.prome - Thanks and I am happy to see your feedback.

This change won’t apply retroactively. It will only be applicable to transactions starting June 19th.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply @PremankuChakraborty,

Is this on purpose, or is it due to a technical limitation?

We calculate many metrics from the transactions report (recurring revenue, churn rate, conversion rate, …). not having all historical values will create inconsistencies in our reports.

Hi @christophe.prome - this is not on purpose but due to a limitation. Unfortunately, a few of these transactions with a value of $0 do not sync with our ERP systems, which typically hold the mapping between vendor ID and transaction at a specific point in time. As a result, it becomes challenging to assign vendor IDs to historical transactions, especially in cases where the app has transitioned between partners. Consequently, we have intentionally excluded these historical transactions.

3 Likes

Thanks @PremankuChakraborty for the additional information. I fully understand that there are technical limitations.

2 Likes

@PremankuChakraborty

Just some quick feedback: We can see the $0 transactions in the marketplace UI now but all transactions are listed twice:

2 Likes

Hi @andreas.schmidt - thanks for the feedback. We have diagnosed this issue and we will deploy this fix in the next day or two. Thanks!

3 Likes

@PremankuChakraborty Can you confirm that the rollout date for this was indeed today, June 19th.

And also point to the entry in a change log to confirm this?

— Thank you, David

Hi @david - yes, I can confirm that the rollout was today.

Here is the associated changelog entry - https://developer.atlassian.com/platform/marketplace/changelog/#CHANGE-917

@PremankuChakraborty thanks for the confirmation.

I am confused though. Why does the change log have a date in the past if it was only rolled out today?

Is a change log not meant to be a useful representation of the dates that things happen?

I’m not trying to be awkward here, I just want to understand.

1 Like

@david I don’t know why there wasn’t a rollout date in the Changelog, but I’m happy that the Changelog shows things in advance.

@PremankuChakraborty thanks! Looking forward for the fix.
Another feedback: as you already have the toggle to exclude 0$ transaction in the api could you please add that to the transaction UI as well?
The list basically became unusable over night as we have pages full of $0 transactions

2 Likes

Hello @david - > Thank you for bringing it to our attention. Ideally the changelog should be of the date the change was introduced. Due to some glitch it got posted on the date we were working on the announcement but now we have added another changelog entry https://developer.atlassian.com/platform/marketplace/changelog/#CHANGE-1040 for June 19th. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @PremankuChakraborty ,
The $0 transactions now started to appear twice in our reports.

1 Like

@PremankuChakraborty please add option to exclude/filter out these transactions (same feature as in API) in the reporting UI.
There is so much noise because of these transactions.

1 Like

Hello @chhantyal , @andreas.schmidt - we have taken in a request to build filtering for $0 transactions in the UI. We will keep you posted on the implementation plan. cc - @NakulKasture , @AditiSachdev

@marc - The $0 transaction duplicate appearance is being worked upon and should be available in the next couple of days. Thanks!

5 Likes

Hi All - The $0 transaction duplicate appearance has been fixed now. So you should not see duplicated anymore on the UI or the API responses. Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.