Can we finally get useful info in app install error messages?

I’ve just submitted the 4th dev support ticket in as many years on this amateur UX, and get complaints from potential customers every week. It’s well past time for a fix to be deployed.

Here’s some of the friction I’m aware of when users try to install apps. There’s likely more…

#1 If you get stuck on this popup it officially means inactive payment method:

#2 This popup can mean inactive instance, inactive payment method or something else:

#3 Apps are automatically uninstalled after installation if payment methods are not active:

5 Likes

Can Atlassian team please take this more seriously? It’s been a open issue since long now which has a direct business impact for all the vendors. Can Atlassian atleast make these messages more descriptive and let customers know that the issue is with Atlassian system and not vendor app?

Just yesterday I faced the “We ran into a little trouble” which was not at all related to payment issue. Retrying after 45 mins, it got auto fixed but at the end customer had a bad experience. He would have not retried if vendor didn’t followup which means business loss for vendor.

Worst part is, dev support appeared to have followed the standard response template and punted it back on payment method. Looks like even Atlas support is not well equipped to debug the issue in first attempt, it took lot of explanation to make them understand that it is not payment issue.

Can someone from Atlas team share any updates on when this will be handled in future?

5 Likes

Bump bump

Yes, please fix this message. It should be very simple to fix yet would remove a lot of pains for developers as well as users.

2 Likes

Hi @nathanwaters, all

Our team is already working on fixing error messages related to app installation failures. With this fix, all generic error messages will be replaced by some meaningful errors which would help customers to identify the issue. The team is planning to role out this fix mostly by end of September.

Regards,
Veeresh

8 Likes

Yuuge. There goes half my support time and untold lost sales. Thanks!

Yet another support ticket just now. Please hurry with the fix.

Edit: @VeereshHosamani the customer here confirmed they have an active payment method and still got this error. They said the install suddenly worked today having made no changes.

You’ve got to wonder what percentage of installation requests don’t work. Huge point of failure on the Marketplace.

1 Like

Yet another one

1 Like

We are running into this also.

@VeereshHosamani Did Atlassian team improve the error messages as per your previous comment?

We have a customer reporting app installation failure and the error message is captured in the screenshot below.

It recommends to check with Partner, but on our side I don’t see any ‘installed’ webhook which failed. I am not sure how to specifically debug the issue for this customer. Are there any guidelines for partners to debug such cases?

At the same time, I see there are other customers for whom the installation worked as expected.

Regards,
Sanket Parlikar

@VeereshHosamani can you please look into this as well…

In the past few days I’ve now had MULTIPLE customers unable to become paying subscribers because of how absolutely useless Atlassian’s error messages are. Completely unacceptable.

Apparently when customers are on an annual billing cycle and click “Free Trial”, this is the error message they get:

I feel like I’m going to need to put together an entire documentation page with the dozens of dumb amateur Atlassian error messages along with their human translations.

Yet another bloody one clogging up my support queue. Fix this already!