Cloud app promo codes are now generally available

Hello Developers and Marketplace Partners,

Today, we’re excited to share that cloud promo codes for Marketplace Apps are generally available for your use! :tada: This is a key lever for pricing flexibility on the Atlassian Marketplace that we believe will set both our partners and customers up for future success.

In this post, we’re going to cover some background on cloud promo codes, their intended use, and some frequently asked questions we anticipate you may have.

Please note that we had shared earlier that we would include bundled promotions as part of this release. However, we have not launched this feature yet. We are still exploring the long term feasibility of bundled promotions on Atlassian’s licensing and billing systems.

More tools and flexibility to price your apps for cloud customers

Our goal is to help provide you, our Marketplace Partners and developer community, with the tools and flexibility you need to price apps for your customers in cloud. As Atlassian continues to help our customers adopt and migrate to our cloud products, pricing and total cost of ownership will continue to be a priority and focus area, to ensure our customers’ value gained from Atlassian products and apps outweighs their investment.

To that effect, we want to remind you of a number of key changes we introduced in the past year to help you better align your pricing to Atlassian’s core product pricing:

1. Opt-in app migration discounts (July 2020) - These migration discounts reduce the total cost of ownership gap between on-premise and cloud, and minimize price as a blocker to migrations.
  2. Opt-in dual licensing (September 2020) - To help customers save on migration costs, customers can take advantage of free license extensions for up to one year.
  3. Additional per user pricing tiers for cloud apps (September 2020) - As we’ve increased the user tiers available for our cloud products, we’ve added new user tiers for apps to align to those tiers.

We know how important pricing flexibility is to your business, especially the ability to deliver targeted promotions to customers to support specific scenarios. Marketplace Partners and developers with existing server or Data Center apps may already be familiar with promo codes, which have been available and in use for some time. These promo codes are also widely used by Atlassian’s field sales and advocate teams to reduce friction in app adoption for larger customers. We’ve been hard at work rebuilding this capability for cloud licensing and billing based on your input and feedback (as we last shared in January 2021).

How and when to use cloud promo codes

Cloud promo codes are intended for targeted use, and not to encourage broad discount-seeking behavior with customers. Although you are welcome to create codes for customers that are discoverable via your Marketplace listing, we expect that most partners and developers will prefer to use them in one-to-few or one-to-one scenarios to incentivize a specific customer to purchase.

One example is offering promo codes to customers migrating to cloud, similar to Cloud Migration Trials which provide customers up to 12 months of cloud for free to help them avoid double-paying for products during the migration.

We recommend taking a holistic approach to app pricing for cloud that takes into account all of the tools listed above. Where possible, we suggest opting in to migration discounts (loyalty and extended trial licensing), and adjusting higher pricing tiers to offer progressive discounting.

Resources and frequently asked questions

These resources have been updated to reflect the new promo code functionality for cloud apps:

Please let us know if you have any questions!

– The Atlassian Marketplace Team

Cloud Promo codes Customer FAQs.pdf (191.7 KB) Cloud+Promo+Codes±+Instruction+Manual+for+Site+admins.pdf (521.2 KB)

16 Likes

@srusonis awesome! Thanks.

Would it be possible to make some small, last minute, post deployment fixes to the styling of the Promotions tab on the Atlassian Marketplace vendor pages?

It would be great if the columns of the AtlasKit Dynamic Table would be truncated (maybe with tooltip for complete value?) and that some margin is added to the bottom?

We all know working with AtlasKit is difficult, so no worries. If the Atlassian Marketplace team needs some support while porting the old front-end to AtlasKit, there is a whole community waiting to help them, so please feel free to ask us to contribute!

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback @remie! Looping in @HarshDhaka to see how straightforward this suggestion would be to implement as a follow-on.

Thanks! I have another one for you :slight_smile:

When you focus on a field (text or multi-select) and blur it without typing, it will automatically do form validation (probably because it has a validate attribute on the <Field /> which is automatically triggered on user input). It looks a bit weird:

Technically, validate should test for invalid content, not required field validation. That is something you can leave for HTML5 form validation or in the onSubmit event handler on the AtlasKit <Form /> element.

It is weird to tell me I did something wrong when I did not actually do anything wrong (focus / blur a field on it’s own does not constitute invalid input). Only invalid content in the field or clicking on Next with an empty field should trigger the validation to fail.

4 Likes

PS: sorry for being picky and stealing your thunder. Would have loved to give this feedback in a different way, but I’m not aware of any public issue tracker for Atlassian Marketplace, nor was I part of the BETA program.

The problem is that we spent a lot of time in MPAC. It’s really great to see the MPAC team migrating the frontend towards AtlasKit / ADG, but the implementation can really get a bit more love (see also https://community.developer.atlassian.com/t/redesign-of-app-listing-page-in-mpac/44277)

3 Likes

No need to apologize - the dialogue and feedback is important! Let’s make sure you’re on the list for our next EAP :wink:

1 Like

Posting https://community.developer.atlassian.com/t/cloud-promo-codes-update/44682/29 to call attention that the release violated what was communicated to us about promotion visibility.

1 Like

Thank you for flagging this - we will have the team investigate and follow up with a response.

@boris This is resolved for both Jira and Confluence. Let us know if you are still seeing the link in top nav.

2 Likes

Thanks for shipping this :slight_smile:

FYI for ther MPAC partners

• If you’re using a private token (as a current workaround instead of 100% promotion), it looks like you first have to remove the app from the system, then re-install it via UPM and apply the promotion, as otherwise the app is not recognized (message “This code is valid, but you don’t have the required app.” is displayed)
  • Billing cycle of the app has to match the billing cycle of the core product

Issues

• When adding multiple apps to a promotion (Server or DC) the message “You must choose apps that belong to the same parent product” is displayed.
    Assumption: This is the case if apps are available for different deployments (e.g. when I pick an app that is available for Server and DC (2 deployments) and add another app that is available for Server, DC, and Cloud (3 deployments), the message is displayed)

Potential Improvements

• Cloud promotions are currently limited to a single app, which makes it tedious if I want to create a promotion for multiple apps at once. Would be great if it could add multiple apps via checkbox (as with the other deployments).
    Is that what you mean by “bundled promotions” @srusonis ?

• Would be great to see the “end date” (based on the set billing cycles), i.e. when a promotion ends. The “valid” billing cycles force me to calculate the end date manually.

• Minor UX issue: After the promotion is created, it would be great if I’d stay on the promotion itself, instead of being redirected to the overview screen, as I have to create the code as a next step. Currently I have to browse back to the promotion, open it again and create the code.

9 Likes

@nils Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback.

If you select deployment as Cloud, there is no option to select more than 1 app. In case you choose deployment as Server or DC, then we show this warning message “You must choose apps that belong to the same parent product” to ensure that app compatible for only 1 deployment (either Server or DC) is not bundled with another app with different deployment as part of same promotion.

You are right. This is what we mean by “bundled promotions”.

The promotion redemption (i.e. application of promotion by customer) ends on the expiration date set at the time of promotion creation. The “end date” that you are referring to is the last day on which discount would be applied on an order at the time of billing for a redeemed promotion. This “end date” would depend upon the promotion redemption date and billing date for the customer instance. Let me know if I understood your query correctly.

This has been shared with design team and we will keep you posted on next steps.

Thanks
Harsh

3 Likes

@HarshDhaka can you please also respond to my minor UX issues?

Hi @remie
Apologies for missing out to reply to this. Thank you for the detailed feedback.
I have passed both your requests to the team. We would need sometime to consolidate and triage all feedback and we will get back to you post that.

Thanks
Harsh

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply @HarshDhaka

The way I understand this, is that I am (and will not) be able to bundle an app that is not available for Cloud with another app that is available for Cloud, even if I want to create a Data Center (or Server) promotion?
This is a bit cumbersome, as we have various apps that are available for different deployments, which would force me to create multiple individual promotions (e.g. for partners requesting free parter licenses of multiple apps)
Any chance this can get looked at again?

Here’s my scenarios (maybe this helps understanding)

• I have app 1 (available for DC and Server) and app 2 (available for DC, Server, and Cloud)
  • I have a customer asking for a promotion of app 1 and 2 for Data Center
    → So I pick Data Center in the Deployment drop-down, choose the promotion type and pick app 1 and app 2. This is were I see the error message.
    So as a workaround I’d need to create 2 different promotions for Data Center, one for app1 1 and one for app 2, which is a bit annoying (and wasn’t the case before Cloud promotions got introduced).

Okay makes sense - as you don’t know the billing date of the instance the promo is applied on, you can’t calculate the concrete end date.

1 Like

Hi @nils

This should not be the case. I misunderstood the issue that you had raised and thanks for sharing the details. We will get this resolved at the earliest and let you know.
Post the fix, you should be able to create a bundled promotions for the above scenario.

Thanks
Harsh

2 Likes

Hi @nils
Multiple apps promotion issue for Server and DC is resolved.

Thanks
Harsh

3 Likes

I see the Promotion tab in Jira but not on any Confluence site. How can I redeem my Confluence promo codes? I was able to submit a Confluence promo code in Jira but it’s still listed as a trial.
update: I tried to navigate directly to /wiki/plugins/servlet/ac/com.atlassian.confluence.emcee/promotions and I get an Access Denied error

2 Likes

@mkalnicki
We will check this and get back to you.

Thanks
Harsh

2 Likes

Hi,

Is there any update on this (the promotions link not available on Confluence)?

Thanks,
Janette

Hi @mkalnicki @janette
This got resolved today. Please check your instances and let us know if you still can’t access the Promotions tab on Confluence.

Thanks
Harsh

2 Likes