Hello Developers and Marketplace Partners,
Today, we’re excited to share that cloud promo codes for Marketplace Apps are generally available for your use! This is a key lever for pricing flexibility on the Atlassian Marketplace that we believe will set both our partners and customers up for future success.
In this post, we’re going to cover some background on cloud promo codes, their intended use, and some frequently asked questions we anticipate you may have.
Please note that we had shared earlier that we would include bundled promotions as part of this release. However, we have not launched this feature yet. We are still exploring the long term feasibility of bundled promotions on Atlassian’s licensing and billing systems.
Our goal is to help provide you, our Marketplace Partners and developer community, with the tools and flexibility you need to price apps for your customers in cloud. As Atlassian continues to help our customers adopt and migrate to our cloud products, pricing and total cost of ownership will continue to be a priority and focus area, to ensure our customers’ value gained from Atlassian products and apps outweighs their investment.
To that effect, we want to remind you of a number of key changes we introduced in the past year to help you better align your pricing to Atlassian’s core product pricing:
- Opt-in app migration discounts (July 2020) - These migration discounts reduce the total cost of ownership gap between on-premise and cloud, and minimize price as a blocker to migrations.
- Opt-in dual licensing (September 2020) - To help customers save on migration costs, customers can take advantage of free license extensions for up to one year.
- Additional per user pricing tiers for cloud apps (September 2020) - As we’ve increased the user tiers available for our cloud products, we’ve added new user tiers for apps to align to those tiers.
We know how important pricing flexibility is to your business, especially the ability to deliver targeted promotions to customers to support specific scenarios. Marketplace Partners and developers with existing server or Data Center apps may already be familiar with promo codes, which have been available and in use for some time. These promo codes are also widely used by Atlassian’s field sales and advocate teams to reduce friction in app adoption for larger customers. We’ve been hard at work rebuilding this capability for cloud licensing and billing based on your input and feedback (as we last shared in January 2021).
Cloud promo codes are intended for targeted use, and not to encourage broad discount-seeking behavior with customers. Although you are welcome to create codes for customers that are discoverable via your Marketplace listing, we expect that most partners and developers will prefer to use them in one-to-few or one-to-one scenarios to incentivize a specific customer to purchase.
One example is offering promo codes to customers migrating to cloud, similar to Cloud Migration Trials which provide customers up to 12 months of cloud for free to help them avoid double-paying for products during the migration.
We recommend taking a holistic approach to app pricing for cloud that takes into account all of the tools listed above. Where possible, we suggest opting in to migration discounts (loyalty and extended trial licensing), and adjusting higher pricing tiers to offer progressive discounting.
These resources have been updated to reflect the new promo code functionality for cloud apps:
- Pricing, payment and billing details for Marketplace apps
- Sales promotions for Marketplace apps
- Cloud promo codes customer FAQs (attached below)
- Documentation for customers on how to redeem a promo code (attached below)
Please let us know if you have any questions!
– The Atlassian Marketplace Team
Cloud Promo codes Customer FAQs.pdf (191.7 KB) Cloud+Promo+Codes±+Instruction+Manual+for+Site+admins.pdf (521.2 KB)