Developer beta now live for app module support on Jira Cloud Android, iOS, and Mac clients!

Update: This feature is now generally available! Please see this post for details.

An image showing multiple phones with third party apps in the Jira Cloud app

Attention Jira Cloud developers: issue glance and issue right context panel module support is now available on beta for all platforms, Jira Cloud iOS, Android and Mac!

Bring your app to the Jira Cloud iOS, Android, and Mac Jira clients

• Flexibility & mobility for your users: Our early adopters have allowed Jira users on mobile to see source code information, track time, open attachments, and see external information linked to a Jira issue anytime and anywhere (among many other use cases). Jira users will now be able to take your apps anywhere, anytime on major device platforms.
  • Works out of the box, minimal effort to customise: No need to build another app for mobile. Your app that works for web just works for all mobile & desktop devices. If you’re using issue glances already, your app will appear on issues, just like web.
  • Increase user engagement for your app: Jira Cloud users on mobile & desktop clients are our most active users and tend to view and resolve issues more frequently all throughout the day than the average user. If your app is critical to their daily workflow, expect to see higher usage with mobile.

Simple steps to test and enable for all your customers

• Step 1: Go here and complete the form. Include your Jira Cloud development instance URL . We’ll be giving your development instances access to this feature so you can test in the Jira Cloud mobile & desktop clients. We’ll be in touch via email once we’ve enabled your instance. (Please allow approximately 2 business days as we are based in Sydney, Australia).
  • Step 2. Test how your app’s content appears as a glance & right context panel. From testing with early adopters, there was minimal to no work for this feature. Some have made minor tweaks on the styling of the app to be mobile friendly. Some just work out of the box. We outline full details here in our mobile & desktop guide. Contact us at jira-cloud-native@atlassian.com if you have any questions.
  • Step 3. When you’re finished testing your app, let us know and we’ll enable it for all your customers. We’ll enable your app to all your Jira Cloud customers and it’ll appear as a glance in Jira Cloud mobile & desktop clients.

We are giving developers early access now to give you time to validate that your web app works as expected before we officially go live to all Jira Cloud users. If you experience any problems leave a comment here or contact us at jira-cloud-native@atlassian.com directly.

2 Likes

In case anyone needs to troubleshoot their code in the mobile device the best solution we found so far was:

1. Deploy a server somewhere and assign a hostname to the ip
  2. Install nginx and lets encrypt to get a valid SSL cert for the box
  3. Install node and Vorlon
  4. Use a config for Vorlon like so:
    "baseURL": "",
    "useSSLAzure": false,
    "useSSL": true,
    "SSLkey": "/privkey.pem",
    "SSLcert": "/fullchain.pem",
    "activateAuth": false,
    "username": "",
    "password": "",
    "host": "0.0.0.0",
    "port": 1337,
    "socket": "",
    "enableWebproxy": true,
    "baseProxyURL": "https://vorlon.example.com",
    "proxyHost": "0.0.0.0",
    "proxyPort": 5050,
    "proxyEnvPort": false,
    "vorlonServerURL": "https://vorlon.example.com",
    "vorlonProxyURL": "https://vorlon.example.com",

For these two lines:

"SSLkey": "/privkey.pem",
    "SSLcert": "/fullchain.pem",

Even though they start with /, this is still a relative path to your Vorlon Server directory. For us this was /usr/local/lib/node_modules/vorlon/Server/ We copied the keys from nginx that letsencrypt had generated at /etc/letsencrypt/live/vorlon.example.com/ to the Server folder.

Then we added the following snippet to our HTML and got what we needed.

<script src="https://vorlon.example.com:1337/vorlon.js"></script>

Protips:

• Don’t try and proxy the app via Nginx, even though their docs talk about this we couldn’t find a way to get the frontend JS to understand that it was proxied via HTTPS
  • Don’t waste time trying to set this up without valid SSL certs
5 Likes

Update: We’re extending the deadline to July 20 to allow more time for developer testing.

Hi,

One thing that i have noticed is that the clients (at least the Mac one) look to be basic versions of the Jira that you have in your browser, you barely have any project configurations, there are no global configurations and i didn’t even managed to find the issue search where i could use JQL (i might have missed it). With the client still appearing to be so “new” i was wondering if they are going to evolve to be more similar to the browser version of JIRA and if so if there will be support in the future for apps to be able to show webPanels in the clients?

I had the opportunity to try the app i work in, on the Mac Jira Client and the right context panels are being displayed but one of them in completely blank and i will try to debug that with the comment above and the others are extremely small which should be fixable with css.

Thank you,
André Rodrigues

Hi,

our app worked quite well up until recently, but now in the Android Beta the dialog is not coming up anymore - is this a known issue?

//Edit: After debugging a bit more (could you PLEASE enable the remote chrome dev tools for the beta build …) it seems AP.request is not working right?

Thanks
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

We are looking into how we can better support debugging in the app. For now I have a workaround which might help you debug.

Steps to debug the glance iframe shown in mobile:

1. Open the developer tools in chrome

2. in the top left of the developer tools section there is button to toggle the device toolbar, select a mobile device

3. Open this link:
    YOUR_JIRA_URL /plugins/servlet/ac/ YOUR_ADDON_KEY / YOUR_ADDON_MODULE_KEY ?includeWebResources=true&mobile=true&iframeOptions=%7B%22productCtx%22%3A%22%7B%5C%22project.key%5C%22%3A%5C%22 YOUR_PROJECT_KEY %5C%22%2C%5C%22project.id%5C%22%3A%5C%22 YOUR_PROJECT_ID %5C%22%2C%5C%22issue.id%5C%22%3A%5C%22 YOUR_ISSUE_ID %5C%22%2C%5C%22issue.key%5C%22%3A%5C%22 YOUR_ISSUE_KEY %5C%22%2C%5C%22issuetype.id%5C%22%3A%5C%22 YOUR_ISSUE_TYPE_ID %5C%22%7D%22%7D

4. To find YOUR_ISSUE_ID , YOUR_PROJECT_KEY , YOUR_PROJECT_ID and YOUR_ISSUE_TYPE_ID go to YOUR_JIRA_URL/rest/api/3/issue/YOUR_ISSUE_KEY?fields=project,issuetype and they will be id, fields.project.key, fields.project.id and fields.issuetype.id respectively

5. To find YOUR_ADDON_KEY and YOUR_ADDON_MODULE_KEY go to YOUR_JIRA_URL/rest/internal/2/issue/YOUR_ISSUE_ID/extension and they will be under glances.iframe.addonKey and glances.iframe.moduleKey. Note, there may be other glances here that are not yours, so ensure you grab your addon key and module key

You should be able to see your glance here and use the chrome devtools to debug as you would on web.

This isn’t a perfect way to debug and it may not catch some things but as I said we are looking into how we might be able to allow partners to inspect the webview from inside the app.

Hi André,

We’re constantly improving our mobile and Mac apps in terms of features and experience so expect it to be more powerful over time. We’re constantly collecting feedback, and we’ll let the community know as we support more modules along with better developer experience.

Thanks Josh! As it was quite a weird behavior I tried reinstalling the Jira mobile app and that fixed it - so I suspect I wouldn’t have been able to reproduce this in the browser anyway. Just to let you know, not sure you do have something stateful in there which can break. From the outside it looked like some AP APIs were not working, e.g. AP.request or AP.dialog.create.

1 Like

Hi all, this feature is now generally available. Please leave any comments on the new topic, as I am closing this thread. Thanks!

1 Like