Free cloud apps for Solution Partners (Promotion codes?)

Our server apps are free for Atlassian Solution Partners. It’s a great way for them to get to know our apps and to demo it to their customers. When a Solution Partner emails us, we send them a coupon with a 100% discount.

We would love to do the same for our cloud apps. We’re getting requests from solution partners that would like to demo our apps to their customers. And solution partners that would like to use our apps internally.

Private listings are not an option for us. We use our private listings internally for nightly builds / staging environment / private beta. This is not very reliable for anyone outside of our own team. Especially not for demoing purposes.

The solution for server apps is to give out promotion codes. We know that promotions codes might be coming to cloud eventually, but that they’re not available right now. Is there anything else we can do to help solution partners?

Solution Partners are a great way to get a lot of new customers. They’ve been a tremendous help for our server apps. Now that more and more Solution Partners are moving into cloud, we want to do as much as we can to help them use our apps.

9 Likes

In theory we could build a white list of instances into the jwt token authentication and that way allow certain instances to use the app without having a license. In order to do this though we’d have to go through each http end point and in a new verification step which id rather not do. There’s also the other aspect of doing a workaround like this, which is that not all solution partners are technical or would want to have the same exact experience that their customer has (including the upm experience).

It would be much better for a white list such as this be handled through the marketplace - either through promo codes or other mechanism. However the latest update has this not on the immediate roadmap. :frowning: [AMKT-7893] - Ecosystem Jira

2 Likes

Thanks for linking to the issue about promotions for Cloud apps @daniel! It’s too bad that this is not on the immediate roadmap. I imagine that it’s quite a bit of work for the Marketplace team to get this working.

I’m hoping there is an alternative (perhaps a workaround which is easier to implement for the Marketplace team) that allows us to give out free licenses for solution partners. @dave1, do you know if this is possible in any way?

Could Atlassian remove (or significantly raise) the limit on Private Listings?
This mechanism I find effective for giving free access to partners or other vendors. It’s just the current limit of 50 prevents us being willing to hand them out, in case we may need them in the future.

At this time I’m not a fan of the promotion codes approach. It’s nice not having promotions on cloud because it makes the pricing chat with customers much easier when they ask for a discount.

1 Like

Free licenses for Solution Partners is something we would like to offer too. Similarly we would like to offer free licenses for non-profit charitable organisations but can’t practically do that either.

We’re on board with Pledge 1%, but Atlassian Marketplace doesn’t give us a way to fulfil the ‘1% of product’ pledge for Cloud apps… which is most unfortunate given that Atlassian founded Pledge 1%!

2 Likes

At this time I’m not a fan of the promotion codes approach. It’s nice not having promotions on cloud because it makes the pricing chat with customers much easier when they ask for a discount.

It’s easy to use this answer, I agree. But when a customer randomly asks for a discount, I’m sure we can come up with compelling arguments on why we will or will not give one. I’d love coupons for marketing purposes, for example.

Similarly we would like to offer free licenses for non-profit charitable organisations but can’t practically do that either.

While we’re not a Pledge 1% company, we do give away free licenses for non-profit and educational organizations for our server apps. Would be great to do the same for cloud indeed.

2 Likes