Get single field metadata

Hi all,

I need to get metadata of all fields of a project. Is there API endpoint or some way to get metadata of a single field created by Jira or custom field?

I have tried using the createmeta endpoint with expand (/rest/api/3/issue/createmeta?expand= projects.issuetypes.fields), but there are thousands of fields and the request times out, so I can’t use that.

I have tried using the same endpoint with projectIds also (/rest/api/3/issue/createmeta?expand= projects.issuetypes.fields&projectIds=xxxx), but some of the fields which appear in the issues are not listed in the results.

I have also tried to use /rest/api/3/issue/xxxxxxx/editmeta, but again I do not see all the fields of the issue, only some of them.

Do I need different permissions to get all the fields or is there some other way to get the metadata of a single field for which I know the field ID and the project ID. I need to get the metadata of that field from the project, but there doesn’t seem to be a way to get it.

Thank you,
Kosta

Welcome to the Atlassian developer community @TestAccount,

If you only need the information for a specific field at a time, maybe your code can get fields paginated using GET /rest/api/3/field/search.

1 Like

I did try this endpoint also, but it doesn’t return any metadata about the field(s). I need to know if the field is required or not, its default value (if set), if the field is select box, to get its allowed values. The only way that I found to get that info was using ‘createmeta’ or ‘editmeta’ endpoints, but for the reasons explained above, I can’t seem to be able to use those as indented.

If somebody knows how I can get at least the allowed values of the select field types I would be grateful. “required” and “defaultValue” are nice to have, but not essential.

Regards

@TestAccount,

I think the endpoint you need is now available as part of the announcement about Create Issue Meta Endpoint Deprecation. To replace that old functionality, there is a new endpoint doing just for an issue type:

Get create field metadata for a project and issue type id: fetches a specific Issue Type for a specific Project via issueTypeId . This endpoint will have expanded fields by default and will support pagination on the Fields