Create Issue Meta Endpoint Deprecation

Hi Developer Community, we just deprecated the Create Issue Meta Endpoint. Please have a look at the Create Issue meta Endpoint Deprecation Notice for more details.

1 Like

@TrevorLao I looked at the REST API docs for this change and noticed that the schema does not look correct.

• The issueTypes property in the issue type metadata endpoint response schema lists the fields property. I thought this was meant to be removed with this deprecation notice.
  • The field metadata endpoint response schema lists both fields and results properties with the same type definition. I assume only one of them is correct.
  • The definitions of the fields array items (FieldCreateMetaBeans) in field metadata endpoint response schema lists both fieldId (seems to be new) and key. What’s the difference between those? Which one should be used?

There may be other fields wrongly declared in the API spec. I did not check all the fields against the actual API response but these seem wrong.

@TrevorLao, one more question came up:

Will the following two endpoints coexist going forward?

Based on the docs, they are doing almost the same thing. We rely on the former because it supports the level parameter, but it is not paginated, unlike the metadata endpoint.

Hey @TrevorLao, could you help me understand the idea behind the intended use of the field metadata endpoint and why it needs to be paginated.

From the developer’s point of view, this is pretty awkward to use. Typically, you would fetch this endpoint to get a list of fields a user has to fill in to create an issue. Some of those fields may be required.

As I understand, the fields are returned in no particular order, i.e. there could be a required field on the last page of the API responses. As a result, as a developer, I would have to call that API endpoint repeatedly until I fetched all the pages, and only at that point can I start rendering the issue form.

Is this really how it was intended to work? It seems to defeat the point of making the endpoint paginated.