Issue glance does not pass context parameters and other issues/ideas for the new Jira issue view

Hi all,

I have previously been experimenting with the new issue glance and raised some issues and ideas regarding the new Jira issue view that I believe disappeared in the discussion. So I would like to re-highlight them in this post.

1. Missing context parameters when a module is loaded from issue glance
    When my issue glance opens a web panel is rendered that contains a button. When this button is clicked a dialog is opened using AP.dialog.create().
    AP.dialog.create() references a general page module which has a URL with context parameters: /some/module/url?project.id={project.id}
    Unfortunately the context parameter does not get resolved and as a result, the module fails to load.
    Is this something Atlassian intends to fix?

2. In this blog post about the new Jira issue view, there is a screenshot that shows an open glance.

The title next to the back button is the glance icon and label, however, in the implementation, it renders the glance name which would be ā€œSupport appā€ in the example in the blog post. I think it makes a lot more sense to see the glance label because it describes the content shown in the open panel. This is not urgent but I couldnā€™t find an issue for this so I thought I will highlight it here again. If it is agreed that this is something that should be fixed I am happy to open an issue for it.

3. Regarding Glance Status: It would be nice to read the status value from an existing entity property. Here is an example app descriptor to illustrate what I mean:

"modules": {
  		"jiraEntityProperties": [
        {
          "name": {
            "value" :"Object Links",
            "i18n": "my.object.links"
          },
          "key": "object-links-property",
          "entityType": "issue",
          "keyConfigurations": [
            {
              "propertyKey": "my.object.links",
              "extractions": [
                {
                  "objectName": "count",
                  "type": "number",
                  "alias": "linkedObjectCount"
                }
              ]
            }
          ]
        }
      ],
      "jiraIssueGlances": [
        {
          "key": "issue-glance-key",
          "status": {
  	        "type": "badge",
  	        "params": {
  	          "entity": "issue",
  	          "objectName": "count"
  	        }
          },
          "icon": {
            "width": 24,
            "height": 24,
            "url": "/assets/img/logo.svg"
          },
          "content": {
            "type": "label",
            "label": {
              "value": "Object links"
            }
          },
          "target": {
            "type": "web_panel",
            "url": "/my/glance/panel"
          },
          "name": {
            "value": "My Glance"
          }
        }
      ]
  } 

In my app, I store a count together with the data in an entity property. With the existing solution, I have to manage an additional entity property just to store the count for the glance UI. It would be nice to make Jira just read the value from an existing property, e.g. using a status property in the glance module:

"status": {
	        "type": "badge",
	        "params": {
	          "entity": "issue",
	          "objectName": "count"
	        }
        }

Would be interesting to hear your thoughts on this. The first point is actually quite important for my app. The second and third points are of less urgency.

Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for raising this @tbinna as this has impacted us.

@tpechacek Item 1 is a real hindrance for us implementing glances

Item 3 could also cause a real headache. We have been using entity properties for a number of years and created a lot of data. We are worried about creating a migration task to copy the data over to the glance format would hit Jiraā€™s REST API limits

1 Like

Iā€™ll echo @tbinna and @alan.parkinson. All three points are important to us, priority order, 1,3,2

1 Like

@tbinna @alan.parkinson @jmort Thanks everyone for voicing this and bringing it to our attention!

So we have fixed #1, that should be on production now. Apologies for the delay. You should be getting all the context parameters you need being passed through. Please confirm this is resolve or if you are still having trouble.

For #2: I remember this being brought up before. We are discussing this internally to see if we want to use the App Name or the Glance label (per Issue Glance docs). Sounds like you are all in favor of the glance label. This should be a quick fix, I will let you know soon what we decide.

For #3: This is a bit trickier. I need to discuss this more with the team to understand the implications here, but I completely get where you are coming from. Let me get back to you on this one early next week with a decision and/or timeline.

Ideally though, even if you are migrating, you may not have to do a full migration for every issue. You will know when the user is loading an issue with that glance, as we load the iFrame and everything in the background with the issue load event, could you not set the entity status prop for that issue once it is ā€˜looked atā€™ so to speak by the user?

Thanks again for the feedback here, this is super helpful! Cheers

1 Like

@tpechacek thanks for your reply.

I tested #1 and it looks good now. Thanks for the fix!

Regarding #3, I believe your suggestion to set the status prop when the page loads works as a temporary fix but for a long term solution it would be quite a bit of overhead. Setting the prop would have to happen every time the issue glance is loaded.