Legacy automation is being superseded by Automation in Jira Service Management

Hi everyone,

Starting on August 30, 2021, we’re turning off Legacy automation for all new sites. New sites will only have access to Automation (A4J), which will likely impact some Marketplace app vendors.

The current legacy automation action module is built on the connect framework, which will not be supported by A4J. This means that Legacy automation will be turned off by default for new customers and they will not be able to utilise legacy automation functionality.

Customers already using legacy automation will not be impacted with this change; however, our long-term plan is to phase out Legacy automation .

We understand this may cause hardship for vendors who have automation functionality built on top of the legacy automation action modules. If this applies to you and have concerns, please click here to connect with one of our product managers.

Thanks,
Makarand Gomashe
Product Manager, JSM

2 Likes

@MakarandGomashe - is there a timeline of when vendors can provide automation functionality in cloud via A4J?

7 Likes

Thank you for keeping us in the loop. Will there be an option to edit Customer Request Type and some other blocked fields in the new automation soon? That is a very common use-case, but the Automation is currently blocked from tapping into certain issue elements that do not have public API access.

1 Like

Hi @ademoss ,

Current plan is to enable this via Forge program for A4J. The details with timeline will be shared soon.

2 Likes

Hi @greg.draper ,

Yes, there will be an option to edit Customer Request Type and some other blocked fields in the new automation soon. We will continue to add functionalities into Automation including the ones supported by Legacy Automation. The updates on which will be regularly communicated.

Also, for any required functionalities, we encourage communicating to our support or upvoting existing tickets, for us to understand concerns and prioritise our efforts suitably.

1 Like

umm… how is this going to help my Connect apps?
You are literally removing functionality, telling us that a replacement is coming at some unspecified date, and that that replacement will really be limited to an immature platform.

This seems like really really poor planning, doesn’t it?

5 Likes

Hi @ademoss ,

As stated above customers already using legacy automation will not be impacted with this change, and hence can continue on their previous experience. As a temporary arrangement, new sites willing to use connect apps, can request for turning on Legacy via support.
I am happy to connect with you to understand concerns and how we can support better.

@MakarandGomashe - the concern in general is the notion that you’re removing functionality without providing a proper alternative.

Sure, existing customers can continue using this, but what about new customer? Based on what you’re saying, If I have a connect app, I have literally no recourse to fix this for my customer because you’re making Automation only compatible with Forge.

This deviates from the things Atlassian has been touting since the acquisition of A4J, and leaves vendors in a shitty spot. Use Forge or else you’re screwed. Except… I tried using Forge with Service Desk projects, and guess what? It doesn’t work. Forge literarily lacks the functionality to talk to any of the Service Desk APIs at this point. If you’d like, I’m happy to point to the CDAC thread where that is being discussed. So now, not only have connect apps no path forward, but you’re also advocating for a path (Forge) that doesn’t work at this point.

17 Likes

:postal_horn: Can anyone that uses this module hit me with a DM?

@MakarandGomashe and team had reached out to everyone that we believed to be using this module to talk about the impact and the workaround for having it enabled. Based on those conversations, they felt it was low enough impact that it was OK moving forward with the workaround. Based on what I’m hearing here, the folks we talked to didn’t touch everyone using the endpoint. And we want to spend some more time chatting with affected developers.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.