Marketplace listing page design: image width

In July 2021 @skanodia shared a post regarding the new Marketplace listing design which was followed with much feedback from developers. Most of the feedback seems to be implemented, but there’s still a major bug that causes all kinds of parts of the page to be rendered on non-round pixels.

Unfortunately this also results in the marketplace listing images are never really shown pixel perfectly. So all the effort app developers put into creating their amazing images are ruined, as they’re shown at 550.39px by 312.52px, which results in a different aspect ratio than 960px / 600px.

The frontend code used by Atlassian to show the images in the right aspect ratio makes sense, but due to the width of the Container div, the outcome of that calculation returns dimensions that are not rounded.

Changing the width of the container from 990px to 976px and removing the unnecessary borders from the images and their containers would result in pixel perfect images.

@VinayChilukuri do you know who we should contact to solve this issue?

6 Likes

@kmorales @dparrish I saw you were mentioned on this article related to high resolution images on listings and was wondering if you could send me in the right direction to make sure that the images that are uploaded are actually displayed in a high resolution manner on the listing pages as well.

As mentioned above, the current situation is pretty chaotic and it is litteraly impossible to upload images in a way that they do not end up looking blurry due to restrictions of the upload flow in combination with in-browser scaling to half pixels.

At the moment, Atlassian requires an image at 1840 x 900 pixels which is a 0.4891304348 factor, while the cropped screenshot uses a 0.5685407454 factor. Visually this results in the following:
Red square is the dimension that is required, while the blue rectangle is what is asked to crop images in. But it gets even messier, due to the odd scaling going on in the browser, cropping a couple more pixels of the sides of the final image.

Please help developers not look like amateurs.

2 Likes

Hi @JariSanders1 , I’m not sure what article you are referring to, but I recommend you raise this as a request with our Developer and Marketplace Support team.

1 Like

Quickly sharing an update here: after creating another ticket (ECOHELP-30097) for this issue Atlassian support says they will not fix this issue in the coming 2 years.

In other words, they’re not finishing the original implementation of their new design, but will do a completely new thing instead.

2 Likes

Just too complex of a project to pull off over 2-3 years for a design-oriented company with more than 11.000 employees it seems :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

Just for reference, turns out Jari’s support interaction might have resulted in a public upstream issue at least, see Remove borders from Listings Highlight images (MP-148) - doesn’t change the prospect of getting it resolved of course :unamused:

2 Likes