New Google Analytics ID not supported?

Hi all,

For a new Marketplace App we’ve just launched (check it out, Content Property Editor for Dev&Admins!), we can’t get any old Google Analytics ID starting with “UA-…”, we only get a “G-…” ID.

Screenshot 2021-05-26 at 10.10.39

Any idea how to get Google Analytics working for this?

4 Likes

Looks like there is two kinds of formats now for Google Analytics according to this Tracking ID and property ID number - Analytics Help

Would you be willing to open a AMKTHELP ticket to report this? I assume they need to update the validation check on this field.

Also congrats on the new app launch!

3 Likes

I did just that, thanks Ralph!

1 Like

@LukasGotter Did you receive any feedback regarding your issue?
I just wanted to add my new GA4 code and still have the same error.

Hi @JohannaBoth - yes I got an answer on this, but honestly then never tried it.

Here’s the answer:

The code you’re using is a Measurement ID, and the Google Analytics format used by us is the Tracking ID.
Apparently, the tracking ID is automatically included in the JavaScript snippet for websites.

I hope this helps. Let us know if it works for you!
Grts, Lukas

Thanks Lucas!
As Google introduced the GA4 there is no alternative to use as a tracking code. So in my opinion the problem is still on their side, however not sure if they are following this ticket or it is already closed, and should I start a new one to have an answer and a possible solution from their side.

1 Like

I checked today, marketplace still does not support GA4.

Google have announced that Universal Analytics will stop processing data on 1 July 2023, and access to data in UA properties will be removed six months after that.

They are recommending everyone upgrade to GA4, and have a setup assistant wizard to help with this.

This means that all Marketplace listings that have a UA-XXXXX-Y-style Google Analytics ID will stop receiving analytics data next year; and there is still (to the best of my knowledge) no way to supply a GA4 (G-XXXXXX) ID in the vendor portal.

5 Likes

I just figure out, that I spend whole day learning what is google analytics and how to use, and now I’m not able to use it ?!?!
:sob:
:angry:

Ok, it’s possible, just old type of GA needs to be created, then UA-XXXX… type code is generated.

Yes, you can use the universal code starting with UA-XXX. It works perfectly.

Hopefully there will be an update to be able to use the new GA4 account soon, as Google will finish supporting UA next year.

1 Like

Hey @rwhitbeck, what the status on enabling Google Analytics - GA4 for marketplace apps?

You know that Google Universal Analytics is near its end of life, as explained here “Universal Analytics will be going away”:

What’s the plan, when will Atlassian support Google Analytics 4 (GA4)?

Cheers

There is a upcoming Marketplace Roadmap webinar coming up soon (2 sessions). This might be a great place to ask the team directly their plans on GA4.

or

1 Like

Thanks, I will do that :wink:

Hi @rwhitbeck
This webinar doesn’t seem to be announced in the Partner Portal (like the Channel Skim) and I haven’t received any email like I would from Renee in the past. What is the communication plan for this event?

1 Like

Renee says there is a skim with this info going out later today.

2 Likes

Hi, I see that the above webinars have already occurred. Is there an update on whether GA4 will be supported?

Hi there @IkeBennio,n, welcome to the developer community!

Yes GA4 will be supported soon. According to the webinar, GA4 support will be rolled out before the end of this year.

I can’t find the recording from the webinar, but I assume @rwhitbeck can point you in the right direction if you need it :wink:

Cheers
Björn Brynjar

1 Like

Recording can be found on the Partner Portal here → Log in with Atlassian account

Thank you @bjornbrynjar and @rwhitbeck! I will take a look and anticipate the shift to GA4! Thanks again!