RFC-29: App Access Rule - Revised followup to New Data Access APIs

Hi Boris,

Thank you for raising your concerns.

Note that the App Access Rule feature has been requested by our mutual enterprise customers as a necessary step for them to adopt more apps or as a requirement that needs to be met in order for them to move to cloud. Some of our largest customers are yet to migrate to cloud. They have identified apps to be business critical and would not move without them, eagerly waiting to get increased control over what apps can access in their environment.

based on my experience with the Allow Access UI in Forge, I conservatively expect this to change to double our support costs

Can you elaborate a bit on this, is it that the end user consent flow initially introduced for Forge apps have caused an increase in your support cost or the removal of it?

have a significant negative impact eval to net new conversions

As I mentioned above, we’ve heard from our customers that the “all or nothing” access that apps currently have deters them from using apps in cloud. As such, we expect this rule to help more customers feel confident installing cloud apps who may not otherwise install them today.
I’d like to unpack the support concern a bit here… With the app access rule in place, apps will still be allowed access in all spaces by default. A customer must actively enable an app block for them to experience any change to functionality, which they should expect once they’ve taken action to block an app.

We are also working on proactively notify end users in-product that their admin has blocked an app in places where the app functionality may be impacted (some examples mentioned here), so this should also limit support impact on partners.

Thanks heaps in advance!

Cheers,

Angelina