Server to Cloud Dashboard Gadget Migration Errors

When we migrate a Jira Server instance with dashboards containing add-on gadgets to a Jira Cloud instance they no longer work.

• Custom Charts for Jira
  • Status & Progress Report Gadget for Jira
  • Individual Velocity Report/Chart Gadget
  • Gauge Gadget

For example, we built Custom Charts to be identical on all platforms but this error is something we can’t control and would really like to be able to tell our users that they can migrate Custom Charts to Cloud.

The app has exactly the same key on both Server and Cloud (com.oldstreetsolutions.atlassian.jira.custom-charts) so should work, but it looks like it’s not being migrated properly from a P2 app to Atlassian connect.

The attached picture shows the difference in error messages:

The top gadget was created on Jira Cloud when “Custom Charts for Jira” was installed and shows an error message:

errorMessage":"Can not find gadget definition. Addon com.atlassian.plugins.atlassian-connect-plugin which provide the gadget definition was probably uninstalled.

The bottom gadget was created on Jira Server and migrated to Jira Cloud and you can see the error message is different:

errorMessage":"Can not find gadget definition. Addon com.oldstreetsolutions.atlassian.jira.custom-charts which provide the gadget definition was probably uninstalled.

Clearly there’s a problem, as they are the same app so should have the same definition.

As Atlassian has been saying how important it is to be able to migrate instances from Server & Data Center to Cloud is this something that has been looked at yet?

Hi @TomHarris - How are you migrating? Is this import via CSV or are you attempting to use the Jira Cloud Migration Assistant?

Hi @akassab,

This is using the full site XML backup feature in Jira Server and Importing it directly into Jira Cloud.

Jira Server (8.8.1) Export

Jira Cloud Import

I’m not aware of any way to import a Jira dashboard using CSV or the Jira Cloud Migration Assistant? I didn’t see it as one of the documented bugs on this page: Use Jira Site Import to migrate from Server to Cloud | Atlassian Support

Thanks for looking into this.
Tom

@TomHarris - Sorry for the delay. I’m not familiar with any changes to the site backup feature so asking around for more info. You are correct though, the Jira Cloud Migration Assistant doesn’t migrate dashboard entities yet.

1 Like

Hi @akassab,

Did you hear any update about this from your side? We have a number of large Server & Data Center customers asking if they will be able to migrate dashboards containing 3rd party gadgets (e.g. Custom Charts) to Cloud in the future.

I’ve told them that it’s not something we have control over as a vendor and that we are trying to contact Atlassian to see if this is going to be supported in future. I raised an Atlassian support ticket on the 27th April but have had no response on that so far.

Does Atlassian have any teams that are looking at Server to Cloud migrations? As these customers are looking for an answer should I ask them to raise individual support tickets with you for this issue?

Thanks,
Tom

@TomHarris - I’m still trying to get this clarified. My expectation is that as long as the app keys match in server and in cloud that the dashboard gadget should be recognized post migration when your app is installed. That doesn’t seem to be what’s happening here so I’m trying to find out what’s different about the way that Dashboard Gadgets work in Jira Cloud that is causing this error for you.

Curious, if anyone else is experiencing this issue?

Ok, thanks @akassab,

Yes my expectation was that as long as the app key was identical it should work, so I’m hoping it will be something that can be fixed :slight_smile:

The apps I listed showed the same error for me (and these are from 3 different vendors):

• Custom Charts for Jira
  • Status & Progress Report Gadget for Jira
  • Individual Velocity Report/Chart Gadget
  • Gauge Gadget

What I’m not sure about is if this ever worked or if it’s something that has broken/changed recently.
I can see that on Cloud gadgets they have this in the dashboard parameters:

xdm_deprecated_addon_key_do_not_use=com.oldstreetsolutions.atlassian.jira.custom-charts

Which makes me think this was something that was actively changed by Atlassian, I’m just not sure when.

Looking forward to hearing what you find out.

Thanks again,
Tom

@TomHarris - Sorry this is taking so long to sort out. Here’s what I found out so far:

Jira Cloud Dashboards use a dashboardModuleCompleteKey that contain a Connect module prefix com.atlassian.plugins.atlassian-connect-plugin which is missing from the exported dashboard gadget. That’s why your Connect App isn’t recognizing the migrated dashboard gadget data.

In order for the dashboard gadget to work post migration, the dashboardModuleCompleteKey would need to be updated to add the Connect module prefix.

Hi @akassab,

Thanks for that information.

Is adding the Connect module prefix something that we as a vendor are able to do before the export or is that something that Atlassian would need to do after the import?

If it’s something we can fix ourselves then that’s great :slight_smile:

I really appreciate you looking into this.

Thanks again,
Tom

@TomHarris I’m not sure how easy it is to do with the existing export/import method. We are currently building features in the Cloud Migration Assistants to provide apps the capability to do this sort of thing automatically and in the context of the migration. I’ve written a bit about what we’re building here and will be providing an update on our progress within the next few weeks.

Hi @akassab,

Do you have any update on this issue? We have a number of large customers asking if our apps will work when they migrate to Cloud and until this is resolved I don’t have an answer for them.

Thanks,
Tom

@TomHarris - Yes. The App Migration APIs will be available by early September and following that we plan to run a Customer EAP allowing customers to run app data migrations using the Cloud Migrations Assistants for apps that have opt’d in. I’d encourage you to sign up to include your app in the EAP. Your participation will require you to build a migration path to transform the keys for the migrated dashboard gadgets to include the connect prefix.

1 Like

Hi @akassab, that’s great news!

I’ll sign up right now, we’re very keen to get this working :slight_smile:

Thanks!
Tom

As a final follow up to anyone that reads this post, here is the Atlassian ticket created to track this feature request: [MIG-164] Support Migration of Dashboards - Create and track feature requests for Atlassian products.

2 Likes