Updates to Group REST APIs and Group Webhook Events

What is changing?

Confluence cloud is moving away from groupName towards groupId as the identifier for Groups. Two main changes may affect you.

1. REST API - We will be exposing REST endpoints that will use groupId instead of groupName in the next two months. Once the new groupId APIs are available on Nov 16, 2020, we will start a 6 month deprecation for the APIs that use groupName. After this 6 month period, groupName will still be available but will no longer be immutable, so you will not be able to store it and rely on it being a stable identifier.

2. Webhook Events - We will also be adding a new field groupId to the webhook events group_removed and group_created.

Why is it changing?

Currently since groupName is the identifier for groups it is immutable which means once a group is created there is no way to rename said group. A big reason we are making this change is so that going forward we can introduce the functionality to rename groups.

What do I need to do?

REST API

https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/confluence/rest/api-group-group/

1. Find out if you are storing groupName anywhere
  2. If not storing groupName, making this change is optional (there is still a small chance of getting a groupName and trying to make a new REST API call after the old groupName has been updated but this is a very unlikely case). Your team can make the decision, groupName will continue to be unique per organization but will no longer be immutable.
  3. If storing groupName, your team must update to use groupId instead because going forward groupName will no longer be immutable.

Webhook Events

https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/confluence/modules/webhook/

1. Determine if your team needs to make the switch to use the new field groupId instead of groupName.

By when do I need to do it?

Deprecation Date: May 17, 2021

REST APIs with groupName will still be available for use but groupName will no longer be immutable after this date. Please let us know if you have any concerns about this. We may adjust our timeline based on your feedback.

4 Likes

Will this also affect the REST APIs dealing with content restrictions and space permissions? Right now, giving a group permission is done by group name.

Generally very happy about this as we already store group IDs and currently have to resolve them to names first every time we want to do anything. :slight_smile:

What will happen to module conditions though? Are you going to add new conditions that allow you to check for group IDs there as well?

2 Likes

Yes, we will expose new APIs for restrictions and permissions wherever necessary too.

Let me discuss with the Connect team and get back to you.

1 Like

Hi @jjohn were you able to discuss this with the Connect team? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I saw that some of those endpoints were already added by now, that’s great. Have you got any update on the module conditions? :slight_smile:

Hey Sven, I’m still looking into it because it involves both Jira and Confluence, will get back to you when I have a better understanding.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks for keeping us in the loop @jjohn ! :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Sven