Webhook trace header now available for Connect apps

Hi Everyone,

We’re excited to announce a new feature for Connect apps - webhook trace header.

To trace the origin of a webhook, Connect apps can attach the X-Atlassian-Webhook-Trace HTTP header with a value consisting of a string of up to 255 printable ASCII characters to a REST API request.

The header and its value is then attached to every webhook sent from Jira for the REST API request.

You can use the webhook trace header to, for example:

• Differentiate between webhooks triggered by various REST API requests.
  • Track a webhook’s delivery.
  • Attach other data for use when a webhook arrives.

5 Likes

Thanks, @TomaszZasada, sounds very useful! Will this be implemented for Confluence (and Bitbucket) as well? :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Sven

Thanks @TomaszZasada, sounds great!
Will the header be attached to post function /triggered calls, since they are technically webhooks? For example, if you use the REST API to transition an issue, passing the header, will post functions that are triggered as part of that transition also pass the header back? Likewise, if you create a new issue using the REST API, will post-functions on the Create Issue transition also pass the header back?

Thanks,
David

Hi @david2,

Thanks for the message :slight_smile:
Trace header should work with POST /rest/api/3/issue/{issueIdOrKey}/transitions API but I encourage you to check it for yourself because there can be some scenarios when the header is not available (due to some intricate event messaging in Jira). Let us know when you find out a case like that. We’ve tried to test and check every possible API call but you never know…

Regards,

Hi @sven.schatter,

My team is responsible for Jira Cloud part only. I don’t know of any plans to implement it for other services.

Regards,

1 Like

Thanks @TomaszZasada. Maybe @JonnoKatahanas knows if this is going to come to Confluence as well? :smiley:

Hello @TomaszZasada, I’m looking for this support in Forge. I can set the header on my Jira REST calls but can’t find the headers in the triggered event handler. Is it available in Forge?

1 Like

Hi @jeffryan,

Unfortunately, this feature is not available in Forge. We don’t have it on our roadmap currently.
I’ve created a public ticket for this feature request: [ACJIRA-2451] - Ecosystem Jira where you can track it.

We will discuss it during the nearest triage session.
Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks @TomaszZasada ! Yes, I think this will be important for Forge apps for the same reasons it is important to connect apps.

1 Like

How it works with Spring Boot Connect?