After 10 years, what is Ian doing now?

Hey dev community,

I’ve hit my 10-year anniversary :cake: with Atlassian this month! It’s been my pleasure to help found this developer community, to nurture it over the years, and, in the last couple years, to pick up where @bentley left off as the unelected and unassigned “chief community moderator”. In that informal role, I’ve been a prolific poster with >500 replies this year. I have engaged with you on community improvement topics both in this community and personally.

My biggest point of pride is the RFC program. It’s not perfect. Some concerns that you raised back in RFC-1 were proven out. Critically, we do need to work on the outcomes of these RFCs. That said, I have seen a clear improvement. We have all benefitted from the exchange, including some important course corrections. Even when the outcomes aren’t great, the general awareness of big changes happens sooner than before we had RFCs.

Despite my pride, the time has come for me to take on a new role with new responsibilities inside Atlassian. I’ll be turning focus to Rovo and building AI Agents as a member of Atlassian’s customer-focused Technical Solution Consultant team. As such, I’m stepping back from RFCs and reducing my level of engagement on general topics, with a preference for the Rovo category (or similarly tagged topics). With my time and energy focused on Rovo (for now), I didn’t want folks to misunderstand my absence in RFCs or if I don’t respond when mentioned on other topics.

I’m still here. I’ll still be answering questions. I still care that every developer can build cool things on top of Atlassian’s platform. Most of all, I hope to see you all building agents with Rovo!

26 Likes

Hi @ibuchanan ,
partially Goodbye!
Thank you for having been so active, and good luck with Rovo.