Developer Support Link

Is there a reason why the link for creating DEVHELP tickets was commented out?

4 Likes

Hi @sven.schatter - DEVHELP is currently being refactored. We’ve been getting inundated with general support questions that belong on the Developer Community despite our best effort of describing what DEVHELP should be used for. General questions need to be posted here, on the forums.

For the special uses of that service desk (i.e. 3LO app distribution applications, email API access applications), hard links are provided in announcements and documentation.

The primary remaining use case for DEVHELP was for reporting critical bugs and issues, which is still available [here]… and likewise, app security incidents can be reported here. Likewise, app security incidents can be reported here.

The main portal is still available at http://go.atlassian.com/devhelp for the main JSD portal. Again, the removal of the link in the forum headers was due to the fact that we’re continuing to get general development questions that should be posted publicly here instead.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation and insights @nmansilla. I reported a bug almost a month ago as a DEVHELP request, and to be honest, missed that it says in the Service Desk portal that we should only use this for critical bugs.

However, I have some concerns that posting to the dev community is a better solution. Is there a chance that the bug reporting practice can be reconsidered?

Here are my concerns:

1. If we post bugs to the dev community, it’s easy for them to get lost in the noise.
  2. There is no SLA that would create pressure for Atlassian to respond or attend our bug reports within a certain timeframe.
  3. There is no queue that would make sure that bug reports are picked up at some point and in fair order (similar to 1.)
  4. How can we escalate a bug if we don’t get any response? Tagging Atlassians is one way that comes to mind, but I feel this is a recipe for more noise (When is it appropriate to tag? How long should I wait until I tag someone?).

We often discover non-critical bugs because they are reported to us by customers, and we forward them on their behalf (in many cases, they affect our apps). By posting bugs to the community, we have no way of giving the customers any idea of when the issue will be attended or resolved.

I think I speak for many in the vendor community when I say that in recent months, it feels Atlassian is all about going full steam ahead but doesn’t seem to have resources to fix the small things that get broken along the way.

4 Likes

I can see a couple of benefits of having the community being the first stop for sharing bugs:

1. It lets other vendors/developers see and can speak up that they’re having similar issues and propose work arounds.
  2. It frees DevRels folks up to help to advocate for us in other areas.

That said - agree with that for some bugs there is a need for us vendors to be able to report things because of the customer facing angle.

2 Likes