Rolling out the new JIRA experience to your Cloud add-on customers

We recently announced that we were updating the navigation and look and feel for JIRA Cloud and wanted to provide an update on the rollout process.

We have started enabling the new experience for JIRA Cloud customers and this will continue over the coming weeks. Customers with installed Connect add-ons will soon be able to access this experience.
Individuals users will have the opportunity to enable the new experience. They can also choose to decline or opt out of this early preview experience. We intend to phase out JIRA’s existing user interface in the coming months.

We have resolved previously identified issues regarding the new experience’s impact on add-ons. If you encounter any new issues while preparing for these changes, please submit an issue to ACJIRA and include the “New JIRA UI” component.

If you have yet to enable a preview of the new JIRA experience on a site of your choice, please fill out the following form: New JIRA Cloud experience preview for vendors.

I’m enthusiastic about the move to the new look and feel; just help me understand how to manage it from the add-on vendor point of view.

During the transition, some customers will be on the new UI experience, and some will be on the old; but my add-on won’t have any way to know which UI experience is current for the user; is that right? Most of all I’m concerned about any aspect of the new UI experience that might make my add-on present a bad user experience; for example: the loss of web fragment locations on which my add-on depends. Can you conceive of any situations like that, and if so, how do you suggest that add-ons handle it? Should we wait until the old UI experience is completely phased out? Should we be trying to make our add-ons work during the transition? Should we have different versions of our add-on that work with the old UI experience vs. the new? What approach do you recommend that we take?

2 Likes

Hi there,

The last week I have applied to the “New JIRA Experience” and in the beginning of this week I was already using it. However, yesterday the option mysteriously disappeared from our instance. Can someone explain why is this happening? Is this affecting all instances or just some?

Also, take a look at New Jira Experience removed from Cloud instance.

Regards,
Bruno Conde.

Hey David,

…my add-on won’t have any way to know which UI experience is current for the user; is that right?

Correct.

I’m concerned about any aspect of the new UI experience that might make my add-on present a bad user experience…Can you conceive of any situations like that, and if so, how do you suggest that add-ons handle it?

Aside from the locations we have previously stated as being removed in the new experience, your add-on’s user experience shouldn’t be significantly impacted.
If you do feel your add-on’s experience has been reduced significantly by these changes, I recommend optimising for the new interface. I wouldn’t wait until the old UI experience has been completely phased out.

Should we be trying to make our add-ons work during the transition?

There should be no work required to make your add-ons to be functional. If you find an issue, please raise a bug as mentioned in the post.

What approach do you recommend that we take?

I recommend optimising for the new JIRA experience. It may make sense to optimise in smaller increments while more JIRA users are adopting the new UI, but the existing interface will only last another few months.

We will continue to communicate milestones during this rollout to help provide clarity.

1 Like

This is a bug. Can you please PM me your instance name and I’ll follow this up asap.

How can we revert to the previous UI version?

I accepted the new UI to see what it was like, but I am soon having multiple Jira training sessions at my company (company is switching over to Jira from other software), and it will be very confusing for the employees if what I have projected is not what they see on their screens. I thought I would easily be able to revert back, but I cannot find how!

Hi @stephanie.latterman, there should be a “Turn off for now” option in the “New JIRA Experience” section of your user profile menu.

Thank you! Can’t believe I missed it.

@kewilliams - could you give us a sense for what % of JIRA Cloud customers have the new UI turned on? (users or instances)

Separately - any update for how far out the full cutover is looking right now? (weeks, months, etc)

I tried the new interface and liked it a lot. I turned it off by mistake and now I can’t get it back… When I click on the profile icon, I don’t have the option to turn it back on. Can you please help

Hi @neal,
Can you please private message me your instance details? We’ll begin investigating this today.

Thanks,
Kerrod

When will be this new look rolled out to all? Ist there are schedule for this, cause we are still not seeing this new Look

Hi Olli,
All cloud instances should now have the new UI available to them through the profile menu.

Cheers,
Kerrod

@kewilliams, do you know how many users (percentage wise) are using the new UI. I want to upgrade my UI to the new look but only after the majority of users are using it

Thanks
Paul

1 Like

Hey @paul,
Apologies for the delay. I’m unsure if I can give you an explicit number, but we still have a significant percentage of users still on the old UI. Our rollout has been slower than expected to ensure we’re delivering the best experience possible to all our customers.

I would hold off upgrading your UI to the new look until we report a higher usage, which I expect to be in the next 1-2 months. I’ll announce significant rollout milestones in this community forum to keep the ecosystem as up to date as possible.

Cheers,
Kerrod

1 Like

Hi @kewilliams, thanks for the update. I’ll stay tuned

I have been using the new UI and “accidently” switched to the old UI by opening a menu item (left sidebar) in a new window/tab.

Now I am stuck with the old UI and dont see any way to go back :slight_smile: Can you help me?

––

Nevermind. It seems that Atlassians Jira Cloud Service had a hickup and temporarily switched the whole teams UI to legacy without giving any notice :wink:

Yes, sorry about that! I just got into the office this morning and am trying to get caught up with what happened overnight.

I’m glad everything is back to normal. Please reach out here or email me (kerrod.williams@atlassian.com) if something like this happens again :slight_smile:

Will do. Did you find out already about the root cause of the glitch? And do you plan to let us know what happened?

@gigelmund It was a cascading incident through a third party service we use to support the roll out of the new experience. The issue has been resolved and we’ll be investigating means to prevent it from happening again in the future.

I hope you’re enjoying the new experience!