Paid via Atlassian listings for Bitbucket Cloud

Hello,

Just wondering if there are any news on the roadmap for Bitbucket Cloud apps in Atlassian Market - especially if there will be (or not?) “Paid via Atlassian” option.

We have an app for Bitbucket Cloud which is listed on marketplace and it is free because this is the only option we have. Even if we could build the subscription model on our own - it will be still listed as free on the marketplace which will lead our customers to confusion.

Regards,
Piotr Bojko

1 Like

Hi @piotr.bojko,

I recall a discussion where they mentioned that it is not on the immediate roadmap. But can’t find the link, so don’t take my word for it :slight_smile:

I’m interested in having Paid via Atlassian apps for Bitbucket Cloud too. It’s one of the reasons why I’m not exploring to take my apps to the cloud right now.

1 Like

Supporting Paid Apps for BBC is part of our long term roadmap.

For now, you can collect payments directly; and we do not prevent this behaviour. We just don’t support collecting those payments via pay-via-atlassian.

Sincerely,
Venkat, BBC PM

@VenkatramanSubramani thanks for clarifications!

I am afraid for Bitbucket apps based on Atlassian Connect platform - marketplace is blocking PvV model. You can only choose FREE listing for such apps. Is there any chance to unlock PvV model in this case for the time PvA for Bitbucket Cloud is not implemented?

Having a free listing on the marketplace will lead our customers to confusion when we will introduce our subscription model for them.

Regards,
Piotr

As we do not provide a paid via Atlassian option on Bitbucket Cloud today, but we want to ensure our customers have a great experience that you as an app developer can provide, we will elect to allow a Paid Via Vendor app for Bitbucket on an interim and case by case basis. Should we develop a PVA function on Bitbucket Cloud in the future, we will require apps be migrated onto the Atlassian licensing platform at that time.

We are exploring updates to our marketplace vendor agreement to capture this externality.

Just ported my app to cloud. Bitbucket developer documentation nowadays has links on how to build licensing. I implemented it and only realised when I tried to release the app that it still is not supported. A cmd+f search in the licensing part reveals not a single reference to bitbucket at all.

I’m very disappointed by this, at least it would make sense to clearly list it.

There seem to exist quite some “Paid via Vendor” apps, but there’s no information on how to be able to release under this?

1 Like

@jan, have you built an app using Atlassian Connect or simple oauth2? For an Atlassian Connect app there is a way to be listed on Atlassian Marketplace to be listed as PvV, but it requires to issue a ticket to Atlassian Market and follow the instructions from it. Please notet that monetization is on your own there.

1 Like

I used atlassian-connect. Opened a ticket to marketplace yesterday so maybe they will solve it now.

It’s sounds like it becomes a bit of a mystery how to license it, not sure I can find out licenses changes on the bitbucket side. So maybe the user based license used for server is not at all applicable in this case. Own monetization, completely new license scheme (use based?).

Unfortunately this is only one option for BB Cloud - payment implemented by your own. I faced the same problem

1 Like

Licensing between cloud and server versions is different by default :slight_smile:

Additionally - Bitbucket Cloud is not supported as PvA (Paid via Atlassian) scheme in marketplace and you should implement your own payment system for your bitbucket cloud app. Having your own payment/subscription system leads to your own licensing logic as well.

@piotr.bojko sure, I understand. But since Bitbucket cloud is also pay per user, I would prefer to keep my app licensed similar. But I’m not sure this is possible?

Maybe I could identify each user from jwt and make the next bill based on actual unique users during month? It would not really be a one to one sync with the user base on bitbucket, but per actual use case.

On topic of confusion, what drove me to believe this would work were teh guides here:

EDIT: How to get the “Marketplace Vendor” badge? I would have assumed it shows up since my account is linked to my vendor account, but clearly not.

You can fetch the number of users under a team/workspace on behalf which your app is installed in btb cloud fairly easy from the APIs.

As for Atlassians legal papers see Paid via Atlassian listings for Bitbucket Cloud - #5 by VenkatramanSubramani.

1 Like

Do we have anyone here who have succeeded in getting the Paid via Vendor status? I opened a ticket 2 weeks ago, but Atlassian support has not even managed to get me rights to see my own ticket. :grimacing:

We were lucky ones :wink:

1 Like

Argh. 20 days into the ticket I was informed to “select paid via vendor” as payment model option. This is exactly the issue, that the option is not available for Atlassian-Connect apps and why I opened the ticket in the first place. :grimacing:

I’ll just wait 1-2 more weeks for the next reply then. :frowning:

@piotr.bojko can you confirm if your addon is for multiple applications? I finally got an answer from Atlassian stating that to get Paid via Vendor I need to make it compatible for other cloud apps as well, which seems a bit unrealistic when it comes to bitbucket addons.

My app is only for Bitbucket cloud and server. For cloud we use Atlassian Connect through Atlassian Connect Express and for server we use P2.

1 Like

After waiting now 4 months and 2 days there is still no answer from Atlassian. That @piotr.bojko has an app released as Paid via Vendor seemed like a huge mystery to them and even with multiple contact points there has been ZERO progress.

So I’m back where I begun. I can release my app marked as FREE or nothing else. The fact that there are tens of apps available with Paid via Vendor status doesn’t seem to effect support’s comment that they don’t know how this is managed nor does the team responsible get back to them.

:frowning:

1 Like

Do you have a ticket for this that you could provide us? I will try my best to get status on this.

@aagrawal2 this is the ticket. Jira Service Management