RFCs are a way for Atlassian to share what we’re working on with our valued developer community. Please respect our community guidelines: keep it welcoming and safe by commenting on the idea not the people (especially the author); keep it tidy by keeping on topic; empower the community by keeping comments constructive. Thanks!
Summary of Project :
Filling empty custom fields in Jira Data Center is currently a bit of a pain, as users need to go to the “Edit Issue” view each time they wish to update. That’s because currently, by default, all system fields are shown when empty and all custom fields are hidden when empty. Now, we are implementing the highly requested update to give you the option to hide system or custom fields that have no value on the ‘View Issue’ screen.
This update provides an overview of the next steps and the future of reports.
- Author: 16 March 2023
- Publish: 16 March 2023
- Discuss: 6 April 2023
- Resolve: 20 April 2023
Jira Data Center end-users can’t edit empty Custom Fields on the Issue View and they need to go to Issue Details to fill it which requires additional steps.
Jira DC end-users can’t see Custom Fields which are empty and because of that they forget to fill it with data valid for a project.
For Jira DC end-user filling empty Custom Fields is cumbersome process which makes end-users not filling fields which are valid for a project.
Jira DC Project Managers would like to have specific Custom Fields empty on the screen as that’s a signal for them that something is missing in the ticket.
Onboarding Manager spend a lot of time teaching new employees how to open hidden custom fields as it’s very hard for them to remember this specific Jira DC UX flow.
We should solve it because:
- It’s one of the top requests in JAC. It has 19 years old with more then 1k votes and nearly 800 UIS.
- The problem causes negative sentiment towards Jira DC
- It will improve easy of use of Jira
- It is already done in Jira Cloud
New column on the ‘Configure Screen’ view will allow configuration of display for each custom field.
- If toggle is “on” - custom field will be always displayed on the “Issue Details” view; if field has no value, then “None” will be displayed (same logic as for a system field)
- If toggle is “off” - custom field won’t be displayed at all (current behaviour)
Same configuration will be also possible from “Project Settings” view.
By default, every “Show when empty” toggle is “off” which means that unless someone changes the value, everything will be working as before.
- There are no breaking changes in Public API
(GET)endpoint was deprecated as response doesn’t contain information about “show when empty” field
(POST)endpoint was deprecated as response doesn’t contain information about “show when empty” field
(GET)endpoint was added which contains information about “show when empty” field - it follows the same permission checks as
(POST)endpoint was added which contains information about “show when empty” field - it follows the same permission checks as
(PUT)endpoint was added and can be used to change value of new “show when empty” field
- Getting all fields with “Show when empty” value follows the same permission check as it was before
- Updating value of “Show when empty” follows the same permission check as e.g. adding a new field or renaming a tab (edit screen permission)
If you are interested in a follow-up 1:1 with our team to share or know more, please leave a comment on this post and we will get back